- What is important?
- What was important?
- What were, seen from today, important events in my life?
- Asked to describe ten of the most important events in my life, which ones do I choose?
- What events do younger and older people, men and women, people with entirely different backgrounds and experiences choose – and what kind of narratives emerges through the images and blanks of these individual ten important events?
In his long-term project, Mats Staub aims to ask these questions to people from all walks of life. Guided by a clear set of instructions everyone is invited to investigate these questions and produce their own list of ten most important events in life.
As a whole, the lists transform into an alternative tapestry of life, into a strangely atmospheric collection of portraits. At the same time, the constraint of only being able to name ten events results in a compressed reality and leaves large gaps, which enable us to ponder over personal development and the different courses a life can take.
At www.ten-important-events-in-my-life.net an edited collection of portraits emerges: A place in which only events are mentioned that belong to a person’s most important ones.
- Buenos Aires,Festival Internacional de Buenos Aires (FIBA)05.10.2017 – 21.10.2017
- Santiago de Chile,Bienal de Artes Mediales, Centro Nacional de Arte Contemporáneo Cerrillos07.10.2017 – 05.11.2017
Address: Mats Staub, zwischenproduktionen, Appenzellerstrasse 55, CH – 8049 Zurich, Switzerland
Idea and Concept: Mats Staub
Collaborating Editors: David Tushingham, Fran Tursi, Lara Ortiz, Miriam Ugarte, Patricio de la Torre Becerra, Julia Romero, Virginia Jakim
Design: Krispin Heé, Samuel Bänziger
Pictures: Tamara Janes
Website Programming: Philipp Schäfer
Producer: zwischenproduktionen, Switzerland
Kindly supported by: Pro Helvetia Swiss Arts Council, Stadt Zürich Kultur, Kanton Zürich Fachstelle Kultur, Fachausschuss Tanz y Theater BS/BL